I have learned that renewal and grief can co-exist, even if their ratios are not exactly equal. Sometimes more grief, sometimes more renewal. Like in cooking, seemingly opposite ingredients present at the same time can combine to create something special.
Here are some of my personal favorites renewal activities:
- Lighting candle, putting on some music, and taking a moment to just be with myself.
- Writing a loving letter to my future self including any dreams I hope to realize
- Visiting places I never got to go to with my husband.
- Sending myself my postcard from those places inscribed with inspirational messages. The card will be waiting for me when I return to regular routine of home and want to be reminded of special moment.
- A day trip to a great museum to soak up art and inspire my soul.
- Going with a friend to hear live music.
- Reading a great book
- Watching funny movie
- Spending time in the garden
- Learning something new that I always wanted to do. (I recently took a belly-dancing class.)
- Allowing others to take the wheel and help with parenting duties so I can have a few hours or a day to myself.
- Getting a massage, facial or anything that offers relaxation and a sense of beauty.
- A walk in nature.
- A visit to an ocean, lake, river or healing body of water.
- Reconnecting one-on-one with a long-time friend.
- Yoga and exercise.